Monday, October 3, 2011

WORMING AND MANGE MITES

One of the most asked questions that we get is what should I use to worm my pig(s) and when should I do it. Also, why do I want to use a wormer when they have mange mites?

Most wormer's will also kill the mites that cause mange. The most popular and easiest to use is a liquid called Ivomec 1% Solution for Cattle & Swine.

A number of the sanctuaries have switched to Dectomax as it claims to provide protection for 21 days while the Ivomec protects for 14 days. Dectomax, like Ivomec, comes as injectable which can be given orally, and as pour-on which is put along the pigs back like the Frontline dog and cat products.

"I have used Dectomax with no problems, but I can't say it was any better than the Ivomec and it is more expensive." Ted of Willow Ridge Sanctuary

Another question is: What if my pig has never been wormed? No one has ever mentioned that I need to do this.

This does not fall under the rule of "If it's not broke don't fix it." It does not hurt them to be wormed. Most of us don't talk about the worms enough because the Ivomec and Dectomax that we use mainly for prevention and treatment of mange also kills worms and lice.

If they are on the twice a year schedule (spring & fall) then worms are not a problem because we are taking care of it when we Ivomec them.

If your pig doesn't have worms he will just pass the excess Ivomec out of his system. If he does have them you will certainly know as those are some of the nastiest things we have ever seen come out of a pig!

"Some of the rescue pigs that have come in have passed these terrible looking things after their arrival and their first treatment with the worming, but I believe that the twice a year schedule keeps them pretty clear after that." Phyllis of PigPals Sanctuary

The only worms you will see after worming is the large roundworms which can be up to ten inches long and thick as a pencil, although they are usually much smaller.

They will be lying on a pile of poop. They will pass from one to three days after medication depending on the regularity of your pig. Meds can be given before, during or after a meal it doesn't really matter.

We do not recommend worming the young ones that have worms. It is best to feed them better and worm them when they are 15-20 pounds or more.

Pig worms are species specific so don't worry about the other animals. A word of caution here; A worming schedule of twice a year is adequate for most pet pigs and the products talked about here are for pigs ONLY! You will need to check with you vet as to what is best for the dogs and any other animals that you may have.

On very young pigs you can dust them with Seven Seven powder like you use on your garden (you can get this at your local garden supply), or in the case of bad mange you can use this to kill the mites on the outside and relieve the itching until the Ivomec can work. Make sure you do not get the powder in their eyes or mouth!

This is meant to help with the itching, but you will still need to worm them with Ivomec to kill the mites that are in the larva stage.

If you don't have any Seven Seven dust at home try the feed store for some hog dust. The dust will help give relief on the itching while the Ivomec is working to kill the mites from the inside.

Everyone has their own way of giving Ivomec. If you go to the vets he will want to give a shot. Pigs don't handle shots very well so ask if it can be given orally. We give 1cc per 50 pounds of body weight. Ivomec is one of the safest drugs out there and has a wide margin for safety.

If your pig will sit nice for a treat then you can just squirt it into the side of their mouth. (Make sure it is the side of their mouth, not straight down their throat, so it doesn't go down the wrong tube. You also need to take the needle off of the syringe.)

Or you can dampen his food just a little and squirt the Ivomec on the food and stir and they will usually eat it. If you have more than one pig keep them separated so that you makes sure each pig gets his full dose.

"Yes, I put it in my pig's food when I give it. Make sure you are giving enough as these pigs grow fast and it doesn't take a little more when you do it by mouth. I cut the food in half, dampen it a little with juice, then squirt the Ivomec on the damp food and stir it up. By cutting it in half you are making sure that they clean it all up and are getting the medicine.

Then mark it on your calendar and 14 days later do it again. (This is for the pigs that have mange.) We do this on the outside pigs every spring and fall and it keeps thing pretty much under control until some new kid moves in that has it." Phyllis of PigPals Sanctuary


Ivomec 1% Solution is an injectable that most of us give orally. You will need the solution, syringe & needle. We use either an 18 or 20 gauge needle. The needle is needed to get the Ivomec out of the bottle. You take the needle off when squirting in the pigs mouth or on their food.

If you use Ivomec it will work for those mites in the ears as well as anywhere else. (Ivomec is not picky about what part of the body it works on as it goes into the blood stream and goes all over the body.)

Also, for chronic mange you can give every 5 to 7 days for up to 4 weeks. It is hard to overdose on Ivomec. For a "normal" case of mange you give two doses about 10-14 days apart and that is it. From then on you will want to worm your piggy twice a year (spring & fall) as a precautionary measure.

It usually takes that second dose to get the larva stage of the mites that haven't hatched yet. BUT, make sure you do it twice 14 days apart!

It is a good idea to change bedding when you are done with the 2nd dose even though the medication will kill any new mites picked up.

Can a human get mange? If so, what would it be like? Mange on a human is usually an itchy red rash...REALLY ITCHY!! You shouldn't have to worry too much about that as most cases on humans happen when the pig is really loaded with it and people take them to bed with them. The mites don't like us as well as the pigs so it's usually a light case and will go away on it's own with simple nothing.

They really don't like us too well and will leave on their own. Washing with alcohol might help with the itching.

TYPES OF WORMERS: Worming & Parasite Control

A variety of products can be used to treat your pigs. Listed below are few:

Ivermectin - Used to control worms, lice and mites. Can be administered in many forms.

Ivermectin Injection for Swine - This is a 1% injectable solution. It can also be given orally although this is an off-label use. A syringe and needle is needed to extract the solution form the bottle. The smallest bottle is 50 ml. so it is not cost effective in worming just one or two pigs.

Ivermectin Paste Wormer 1.87% - This product is designed for horses or equine but can be given to pigs at the same dose. It is relatively easy to administer on a piece of apple or the pigs favorite food.

Ivermectin Granules - A feed additive that is mixed in with the food over a six day period. It can also be used to top dress feed to treat a specific problem. Sold in 50lb bags.

Ivermectin Pour-on - A .5 % solution which is administered along the backline similar to flea treatments used in dogs and cats. The smallest container sold is 250ml which will treat 25 to thirty pigs.

Dectomax - A drug similar to Ivermectin, but claims to have a longer residual life. Also controls lice and mites and can be administered several forms.

Dectomax Injection for Swine - An injectable solution that can also be given orally.

Dectomax pour-on - A solution administered along the backline as the Ivermectin pour-on.

In addition to a regular worming schedule, effective pasture or backyard management can help to reduce the parasite load on your property. This would include removing manure on a regular basis. If manure cannot be picked-up, periodic raking or dragging the pasture will break-up the manure exposing it to sunlight which will help to kill the eggs.

Recommended places for finding Ivomec and Dectomax:

KVSupply
Jeffers Equine
Valley Vet

Don't forget to check with your vet and local feed store.

76 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the wonderful information. My 2 piggies are a bit bigger than potbellies. Spig, my 6-year-old female is about 600 pounds, redhaired, feisty (I said redhead, didn't I? :) ), and she's Daddy's Girl. Shadow, 4.5-years-old, my 800-pound neutered, salt-n-pepper haired male is a big ol' teddy bear.

    I wormed them both, orally with Noromectin, for the first time 2 weeks ago, and they both had more energy instantly. I just discovered what I believe from doing some research to be mange on Shadow's tail and right rear foot. It's crusty and scaly, although I haven't seen him scratching. Regardless, after reading your article above and many others on mange, I'm going to reworm him with the same oral dose (1ml per 50 pounds of body weight) of Noromectin, tomorrow. I never give them dry food, so mixing the Noromectin with the food isn't an issue.

    I'm so happy I found your site!

    Thank you!

    Jim
    Sapps Still, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome explanation, thanks very much :)
    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I use dog wormer? And will the mites go on my dogs and cats? And our pig sleeps in our bed. Is the mites in our bed and will they stay? We have a rash on us now. How do we get them gone out of our bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also interested in these questions and looking for answers that would be great

      Delete
    2. The answer to the mites is yes they can i just happen to find out the hard way if you get them from your pig it is scabbies and you have to wrap your bed in plastic for 5 days and spray all furniture with lice spray and vacuum and put a cream on your skin and al kinds of stuff. not a easy thing to deal with at all. wash all bedding and so forth and keep it washed every day. and it is highly transferable to others.

      Delete
    3. I ordered Ivomec and they sent me injectable. Can I give that orally instead?

      Delete
    4. Yes that is what we use to give orally. You will need a needle and syringe to get it out of the bottle.

      Delete
    5. Wow I'm so happy I found this site I am all off the above but on round two I believed it was there hair.

      Delete
  4. Can I use dog wormer? And will the mites go on my dogs and cats? And our pig sleeps in our bed. Is the mites in our bed and will they stay? We have a rash on us now. How do we get them gone out of our bed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice.I did not want to inject my pig Leroy with ivermectin again as it really upset him so i will now give it orally.The vet said it would not work but i now believe it will.Your advice is apprecciated.
    Beryl .nz

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for your advice

    ReplyDelete
  7. took both my piggies to the vet, cause i was concerned about an itchey rash on the bigger one. i have noticed that they both itch a lot, but thought it was attributed to there very dry flaky skin. (i also learned to help the dry skin they should be given vitimin E everyday) the vet diagnosed it as mites and gave me some oral meds for both of them. 3 days after the first dose the little guy pooped out a huge worm. took it to the vet so she could have a look. witch i then learned the mite meds also act as a dewormer! so after finding out this new information i decided to find out what type of worm it was and if is transferable to humans. and fell apon this website. and found it very helpfull. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sight also tought me that i should be doing this twice a year(vet failed to inform me of).... question tho is there anything i can do to my lawn to help pervent them from contracting it again?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondering how long after we have treated with the Ivomec Pre-mix for Swine should it take for the pigs to be clear of the worms?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I was to look at using the dectomax injectable, can I use this as a pour on instead? Just wondering what the rate would be?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been dealing with mange on my Lola. I have found on several occasions that, giving ivermectin orally is not effective while injection works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I were to use the Ivermectin Paste Wormer 1.87%, how much would I need to use on a 14 1/2 lb mini pig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never used the paste here as it is made for horses and the worms/mites horses get are different then our pigs. Thus the reason for different de-wormers. However, I did find where people that do use it double the dosage to what a horse takes. Someone found that putting in Twinkies seemed to work good for them. Personally I would stick with one made for pigs.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for your good info. I gave my little pig the invermectinon a oraly but five minutes later she got sick and I'm not sure how much she absorbed. Can I give her the invermectinon pour on also? I'm worried about overdosing her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can give the Ivermectin pour on just make sure to follow the directions for dosage. It is a very safe product and hard to overdose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got a pick christmas eve for my daughter and it obviously had mites. I bathed the pig and yes slept with it and within a week we were broke out all over and the pig was scratching on everything. We have been treated and the pig has been given ivomec shot and a dip in peremthrin. how long before he stops itching? I put him out and want to bring him back in the house but am afraid

    ReplyDelete
  16. He should stop itching in about a week. Remember to give the 2nd dose to kill the larvae that might hatch. You can also dust with DE food grade to help with the itching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a baby mini pot belly and we just got him about 2-3 weeks ago and all of a sudden this horrible rash came up on his stomach then it was all over and to me it looked like hives on a human, I am trying to find a vet near me who treats pigs, from everything I am reading it looks like it might be mange, I am wondering if it might be better for me to take him to the vet or treat it myself? I gave him a little Benadryl the last few days but it is just drying up and has a whitish crust but is worse, I'm so worried about him and I feel so bad because he is so itchy and miserable, I was thinking about taking him to the humane society but wasn't sure if they do pigs. Help.. My little Wilbur please

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would take Wilbur to the vets office so that you know for sure what is going on with him. I would want to know if it is a rash or mites. The Benadryl will not do anything if it is mites. Please take him to the vets so he can be checked and treated correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I have an 11 week old mini pig. He has been o the vet and they gave him a first round of shots and plan to have him neutered within the next week. He has some discoloration on his testicles under his rear that is a brownish-orange. He also had a little the back of his neck. When I bathe him it washes off but I am wondering if this is the start of mange or just pheromones or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pig rust is what you're describing, you can Google it to get more information.

      Delete
  20. Awesome. My Kunekune pigs will love you. They will happily eat their ivermectin vs a shot. They squeal at just the sight of a needle! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  21. How much would use of the 5mg pour on for a 8 week old

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please follow the directions on the bag. It should give you a dosage, usually the dosage is by body weight.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi. I have a 2wk old mini potbelly and she started scratching on everything. Her back is scaly and sometimes she gets like a red/orange color on her back from her head down. What should I use/or do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With one that young you should take her to the vet to be treated. I would want to make sure that she does have mites before treating for them.

      Delete
    2. Hello need help have 10 week old pot belly piggy got Leva med soluble worker but it only gives you up to 25 pds he is 5lbs how much do I give him help my baby is not showing no signs but want to treat him any way

      Delete
    3. If he is not showing any signs of worms or mites there is no reason to treat at this young age and weight. I'm not familiar with this product and suggest following the instructions if you use it. Get some more weight on that baby.

      Delete
  24. Can you use valbazen to worm pigs? I picked up the wrong thing and wanted to check before I gave it to them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Valbazen is for cattle & sheep not pigs. Take it back and get Ivomec 1% solution for cattle/swine.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, We have a mini pot belly pig who has Manage Mites also. We bought NOROMECTIN from a feed store. he told us to give him 2.5ML with a needle. After reading the package it says to give less then that. Has anyone used this medication before? Do I have to give a second dose 7 days later?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am not familiar with this brand, but it does say for cattle/swine. If you go with this brand I would follow the directions on the bottle. I do not know if it is safe to give orally like Ivomec. We do this because pigs usually do not do well with needles. We suggest a 2nd dose 7-10 days later when the pig does have mites as to kill any eggs that might have hatched.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This helped so much!!! :) Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My pig was diagnosed with mange. She has been treated and will be treated showing in 14 days. I am breaking out in hives Everytime I touch her. How long will this last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a long time since a pig has had mange here and made me itch. The mites are species specific so they can not live on us, but still make us itch like crazy. Try using some tea tree oil on your arms to help with the hives. Tea tree oil contains anti parasitic and anti-septic properties that kill bacteria.

      Delete
  30. I gave my pigs dectomax orally this evening because they have been scratching uncontrollably. In how many days do I give second dose?

    ReplyDelete
  31. What do the directions say? With the Ivomec the 2nd dose is given in 10-14 days...not familiar with using Dectomax. Please follow the directions on the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Dottie - we have a 3 month old piglet that is about six pounds and in the house. This is our first experience with an indoor pig so we just thought it was cute that he was itching himself on everything. He is a bit scaly as well and I thought it was dry skin so I put lotion on him after baths (which he gets every couple days because he is not taking to litter training and poops everywhere and walks in it in his small space during day). My husband and I have developed red, horribly itchy little bumps and we realized it must be mites from our pig because it started right when we brought him home. I have horses outside and have the ivermectin paste 1.87% - can I give him a bit of this on his food? Would I then give this to him 14 days later as well? I just pray my indoor dogs don't get this too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. If it is mites that your pig has they are speices specific so any that jump on to you or the dogs will not survive, but might make you itch. Six pounds is grossly under weight for a 3 month old pig - he needs some weight on him to help fight this. I would stop with the baths and lotion as it can end up making matters worse instead of better. If he was mine I would take him to the vets office for treatment and not use the Ivermectin paste since it is made for horses.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi again Dottie. I took him to our local livestock vet and he is 7 lbs. His age is based on what the previous owner told me... I know he is the runt though as well. He has gained two lbs in the two weeks we have had him. He does indeed have mange and has now been wormed with ivermectin and we go back in 14 days for another dose and wash his bedding daily. I don't think he came from the best home so we need to clear up his mites and fatten him up. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds like you are on the right path with him. Glad to hear that he has gained some weight since you got him.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Dottie!! I have a 5 month old potbelly and discovered he has worms I treated him with wazine17 it's a liquid that u add to a gallon of water and I will need to retreat in 30 days... I've counted like 10 huge nasty white worms come out of him!!! I've read generally once treated it takes up to 3 days or so to expel all of them?? Also I'm deadly afraid of contracting them or my 2 kids getting them!...what are the odds and what should I be doing to help keep us safe from contracting worms???!!!! He does not sleep with us and is confined to only 1 area of the home and goes potty outside thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Gena - My advice would be to take one of the worms to your vet so that you know for sure what type of worm(s) you are dealing with. Here is what I found when looking up roundworms:

    Are pigs or other animals infected with Ascaris worms contagious for humans?

    Probably YES. Ascaris suum eggs in pig manure and in the environment of pigs can infect humans. Some authors consider Ascaris suum and Ascaris lumbricoides, the human parasite, to be the same species: they are morphologically identical and in some regions human Ascaris infections and contact with pigs or pig manure seem to be associated.

    I don't know of anyone in my 25+ years ever getting worms from their pig. I would be cautious and find out for sure what type of worm it is first. Please keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dottie for replying I'm almost positive they are roundworms the white long spaghetti noodle looking ones... Unfortunately the closest vet that deals with potbelly pigs is over an hour away so idk may just call vet and see what he says ???

      Delete
  38. Thank you for sharing ....so awesome & helpful... if I have ivermectin 5mg how many cc per 50/lb?

    ReplyDelete
  39. What does it say on the bottle? We always suggest that you follow the directions on the bottle or bag by the mfg.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi, needing so help! I just bought a 3, maybe 5lb 8 week old mini juliana pig from a reputable pet store last friday and since being here shes only received one bath and rubbing coconut oil on her along with brushing her trying to get this crusty skin off but im 99.9999% sure she has to have mange.... There isnt a spot on her body that isnt flaking up she has the crusty spots all around her eyes, on her ears, hers legs everywhere and shes constantly rubbing every inch of body on any and everything in my house! What does would you recomend on the ivermex injectable solution? Im not going to give as a shot but put in her food. I do plan on a vet trip later this month when the surgery vet gets back from a 2 week vacation because she will be getting spayed but i cannot take this constant itch. What would the benadryl dose be also? Thank you so much for getting back with me!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ugh - there is nothing reputable about this pet store if they are selling a pig for a pet, one that is under weight, possibly has mange and was not spayed/neutered ! My advice if this little one is covered is to see a vet so that she can be treated correctly and with supervision. Please do not wait 2 weeks and she needs to have more weight on her to spay. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but Hurricane Irma has made communication difficult. I hope you were able to find something for the itch.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Dottie, I'm looking for advice. Forrest, my 7 yr old happy house pig has mites. I treated with the oral dosing of ivomec just over a month ago using the 2 x 10-14 day schedule. He still has them- not bad, but he still has semi-gunky ears and getting the redish cast under his "arm/leg pits". He is not excessively itchy.

    We had the stress and complete disruption of routine at our house due to Irma and I know it stressed him. I have started a second round of ivomec and want to know if there are any extra treatments for bedding (his woobie is a much loved moving blanket) rugs, floors, and his ears? There isn't much info about house kept piggies and carpet/indoor area treatments to support total eradication.

    Any information will be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are describing a normal pig to me not one that has mites. Most of the pigs here have gunk in their ears...this is normal, and rust in their pits which is their normal body oils coming out.

    I understand about the disruption of Irma as we are going through it here, but all the pigs seem to be back to their normal routines. Glad to hear you are okay.

    As for his ears; if it is mites the Ivomec will take care of it, so you don't need to do anything extra. Wash his blankies and add in a little Clorox, but not too much or they end up smelling like bleach and he won't want to lay on them. Diatomaceous Earth food grade...make sure it is the food grade can be sprinkled on him, us and your floors, rugs. Since he is not itching I wouldn't sprinkle on him at this time as it will dry him out. Very safe product and the food grade can be eaten...that's how safe.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have a 1 yr old mini pig that started getting very thin even though I increased food and was scratching on things like crazy. Found out that I needed to deworm him. I gave what was recommended the first of Dec was the second round (14 days later) of the ivermectin. He is now starting to scratch again and I noticed that he's losing eight again. Can I retreat with ivermectin gain now

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yes you can retreat and Ivomec is a very safe product. If you are giving orally like we do you need to double the dosage that is recommended on the box. Instead of 1cc per 75lbs of body weight give 2cc for 75lbs of body weight. Because I have big boys here and they are getting a total of 6-8cc I am dividing it up between the 2 meals (breakfast and dinner). Get a bag of Diatomaceous Earth food grade...make sure it is the food grade and dust him with it...it will help with the itching. Mark your calendar and give the 2nd dose in 7-10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 1cc and 1ml are the same thing when measured as liquids. Ivomec is a very safe product. If they were mine I would go ahead and de-worm with the Ivomec.

      Delete
  48. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use and recommend our Ultra Shampoo which can be found here: http://healthypigs.com/items/hair-and-skin-care-items/ultra-shampoo-2200-detail.htm

      Too much shampooing and/or the wrong shampoos can dry the pigs skin out as it is different from ours. We have found that shampooing once a month is enough. Our pigs are very clean animals and don't need it weekly like many dogs do.

      Delete
  49. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once a month is enough for bathing. My you have a lot of pigs! I do hope that they are all spayed and neutered!

      Delete
  50. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Dottie,

    We are treating our pig orally with ivomec- do we need to increase the dosage as opposed to the injected amount?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Yes - We give 1cc per 50lbs of body weight when giving orally.

    ReplyDelete
  53. My Sammy Jean has mange I just bought Noromectin for her. Does it work as good as Ivomec & Dectomax?

    ReplyDelete
  54. I haven't used Dectomax so can't compare, but the Noromectin is a generic Ivomec and it worked just as well for us here. Just make sure it is for cattle/swine.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Looks like I'm in the same boat as all the other ppl here. Mini piggy has mites. Me and my kids are itchy as all hell. Now my dog has mites too. All being treated .i hope this nightmare ends soon. I can barely sleep at night. I worry so much about this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel we may be experiencing this as well. The local Feed and Seed had safe gaurd wormer for pigs...but is that the same as what they are talking about and will it get rid of the mites? I've had several potbelly pigs and never had this happen before. But this piglet is awesome though! Lol

      Delete
  56. Just wondering if anyone who has used dectomax could tell me if the dose given orally is the same as ivomec. I normally use ivomec but the store was out and so was Amazon so I bought dectomax. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  57. I am seeing oral ivomect dose on here as 1cc per 100 and 1cc per 75...which is it??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete